intentional christian communities

December 4th, 2003 by isaac · 41 Comments

Nick asked me a great question a few weeks ago and i haven’t taken the time to answer him. This won’t be an answer either. Sorry. But this might be heading towards an answer indirectly.

As i am living in intentional christian community for the first time i am thinking a lot about how this might work for other christians who are looking for more than a church service on Sunday and a mid-week home group. What would it be like for church to be a way of life rather than a voluntary association? I don’t have the answer, but i am exploring the possibilities of intentional christian community for the whole people of God. The following are communities around the US who are doing church differently. Can we learn from them?
church of the sojourners.
jesus people usa.
reba place.
plow creek.
catholic worker movement#.
open door.
the simple way.
the bruderhof.
hutterian brethren.

if you know any more interesting intentional christian communities, please add them to the list.

Tags: kingdom naturalists

• 1 lisa // Jun 25, 2006 at 6:17 pm

I’m a member of an intentional Christian community in Lexington, KY. We are called communality and our blog is http://www.theashram.blogspot.com.

Shalom!

• 2 Barbara // Aug 15, 2006 at 5:13 pm

My husband and I purchased 20 acres in NE Oklahoma, have started building, we have 4 Nubians, plan on organic gardening. We would love to share with others of like mind, for the purpose of making country living more affordable and to be able to spend more time with other born-again believers.
    Anyone who thinks they may be interested, please reply.

• 3 Daniel Helfen // Dec 15, 2006 at 7:26 pm

What is a nubian? I live in southern indiana and I am interested in joining an intentional christian community. would consider moving to another local once wife was done with her Doctorate in Audiology. Please contact me danielhelfen@hotmail.com

• 4 Andy // Jan 13, 2007 at 8:14 pm

Elmendorf is a christian community that has its roots
    in the Hutterian Brethren wing of the sixteenth century
    Anabaptist movement.They are a revived form of the otherwise mostly traditional hutterian churches and speak english instead of the traditional german.
    They are Born-again believers that welcome visitors and
    new members.Explore the Website for more details.

• 5 Barbara Burton // Feb 4, 2007 at 6:23 pm

You know, I have struggled to put into words what I would like to acheive community wise, but I found it expressed on the homepage of Church of the Sojourners. I hope they won’t mind that I copied it here. It says it all. “Here at Church of the Sojourners, we seek to respond to Christ’s call by living together family-style, sharing our homes, resources, and friendship, our weaknesses as well as our strengths—not because living together is a requirement of committed discipleship, but because it is one real way we have found to provide us with numerous daily opportunities for forgiveness, humility, service, gratitude, worship, prayer, and other practicalities of sainthood which help build us into “the full measure of the stature of Christ.” Also, I failed to include my email address for those who wish to correspond. bbfb7770@hotmail.com

• 6 Mel // Mar 25, 2007 at 1:15 pm

I have been interested in intentional communities since the mid-1970’s when I first read about and visited the Bruderhof in Rifton, NY. I would love to establish a Christian community for women in NW Oregon where I live. I’m in the thought process and unsure how to go about it. I’m a bit older and recognize that many older women live alone and struggle with loss of relationships and limited finances. It makes sense that Christian women would join together for spiritual and practical support and for the working out of their faith, witness to community, and possible ministry opportunity. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

• 7 Bob Simpson // Apr 8, 2007 at 8:09 pm

For Mel,
    You might try the “Grail”.
    This is an international women’s movement, originally Catholic, founded in the Netherlands in the 1920s. US Headquarters is at “Grailville”, Loveland, Ohio, but they have several other US locations (California, New York City, Cornwall, NY).

• 8 Nona // May 11, 2007 at 6:29 pm

This is in response to Mels desire for a intentional community for women in Oregon.. Mell would you please email me if you are getting that started in any way..I would be very interested .

My email addy is
    nonalynn@sbcglobal.net

Gods very best to you
    Nona

• 9 Barbara Burton // Jun 21, 2007 at 6:57 pm

For anyone who might care, we no longer have our 20 acres and Nubian goats. Things just didn’t work out as planned, but we have not lost our desire for community living.

• 10 Danny // Jul 6, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Barb,
    I am sorry to hear that it didn’t work out. It is still my desire to live in community with other Christians. There are quite a few obstacles to doing that right now so I feel for you. One of which is that there are not any communities close to me. The only intentional communities in the area are those of the Unitarian Universalist variety and they do paractice in ways that I neither condone nor do I believe in.

• 11 Danny // Jul 6, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I am concerned that an intentional community for women would foster relations among women that are not in accordance with the scriptures. I also would not support an all male community. Community needs balance. Just my opinion and not necessarily those of anyone else.

• 12 Tess // Jul 19, 2007 at 7:51 pm

It’s great to find a site listing different communities. My husband and I are from New Zealand, we lived as part of a community called Urban Vision. Based in Wellington, auckalnd and Tauranga – people living together as part of their communities but also for the community. Another community is the US though is steiger which is based in Minneapolis can get their through http://www.salvageyard.com or through http://www.steiger.org/bases .

• 13 Bro.Justus // Jul 21, 2007 at 11:56 am

I am a Christian ,who lives in the upper cumberland area of Tennessee,I and my family and friends are looking to start an intention community,where Jesus Christ is Lord in all that we share and do. We believe that the church will go through the time called the Great Tribulation,so we are Post Trib in our beliefs about the end times.We only want fellowship where we can live and work together to fullfill the purpose of the church,in and out of the community,meaning we want to share the gosple and not just forget what we are called unto.feel free to contact me at live_oak_trees@yahoo.com thankyou Justin

• 14 Danny // Jul 23, 2007 at 6:41 pm

What does post trib mean?? danielhelfen@hotmail.com

• 15 carrie // Jul 23, 2007 at 7:42 pm

Post Trib means post tribulation.

• 16 Jolene // Jul 26, 2007 at 7:57 am

My brother is a member of Reba Place fellowship—a 50 year old Intentional Christian community in Evanston, IL, just north of Chicago. It’s great!
    anyone know of a community house in New York City?

• 17 Storbakken // Aug 9, 2007 at 10:53 am

My wife and I are in the midst of forming an intentional Christian community in Brookyn, New York. If your interested in learning about the community, please check out our Web site:

• 18 Jason // Aug 18, 2007 at 9:19 am

hey I live in Florida does any body know of any here

• 19 Maria // Nov 5, 2007 at 10:48 am

I am interested in an intentional community that is also is interested in organic living. Christians who care about the earth and their own bodies. We could work on the farm together and/or work outside of the community too. My husband, two children and I live in Georgia and I homeschool my sons. Anyone interested or have any ideas? Please e-mail me.

• 20 Melinda Scott-Carcamo // Nov 14, 2007 at 8:37 am

• 21 Margaux // Nov 29, 2007 at 8:28 pm

If you live in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area and you are interested in being involved in a Christian intentional community, email us. We are interested in forming close bonds to fellow Christians and working together to preserve God’s creations. We are weird. . .eat organic, cloth diaper, vegetarians, home school, and love to have fun with our children:) Don’t think that’s weird, yippee! Email us.

• 22 Margaux // Nov 29, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Sorry, our email address is mcglassonfamily@fuse.net.

• 23 Andrea // Dec 1, 2007 at 3:34 pm

I live in Spokane, Washington. Sometimes I feel this city is so far behind when it comes to living in interdependance with other Christians. For the percentage of Christians that live here I find it hard to believe that searching the net for 2 hours came up with only ONE result of a Christian Community. does anyone know of any others in this area?

andrea@andreafaith.com

• 24 Richard // Dec 2, 2007 at 3:20 pm

I live in Alabama. Any communities in Alabama?

• 25 Trevor // Dec 8, 2007 at 8:21 pm

Anyone interested in joining a Christian Community, please email me at: pastorTRjefferson@yahoo.com

• 26 Rosene // Dec 9, 2007 at 12:11 pm

So glad to see so many other Christians believing in “the Way”, the Jesus way of living as in Acts 2 and 4. I have had this vision since 2003 and have gone to Sicily with the idea. Found believers there with likemindedness. I truley feel my time here in St. Paul,MN is to learn more and start/help a community grow here. Then to persue it in Sicily. I need help though. I wrote to a place called Sacred Spaces that offers help. I invite people to email me with more info.

• 27 Rosene // Dec 9, 2007 at 12:15 pm

I see my email is not listed above. Does anyone know of Christian community living in St. Paul MN? email is: ro_z_42@hotmail.com

• 28 Priscilla // Dec 24, 2007 at 10:37 pm

I’m really wondering the SAME thing. My Mother-in-Law is looking to live with a bunch of other Christians…something kind of like a convent but for Christian (non-catholic) Women.

GREAT QUESTION?

• 29 Priscilla // Dec 24, 2007 at 10:38 pm

oops

• 30 Rosene // Jan 9, 2008 at 9:59 am

I am seeing so much desire out there that I believe comes from the heart of God, and as I sit here feeling the same as many of you, I don’t know how to get it started? I know Satan is at work! Thank God we have power and authority over all the works of Satan and we are commanded be Jesus to use it! So come on Brothers and Sisters of Christ, rise up and speak into existance these communities, what I have called “the Acts 2 House and Way” . Testify, boast in the Lord, research and tear down walls, by first obeying Jesus by waiting until the power comes from on high, Acts 1:8 . Then go out and perform signs and wonders in the name of Jesus Christ!
    Is there anybody out there??If you want to respond personally email is ro_z_42@hotmail.com

• 31 kevin // Jan 9, 2008 at 10:19 am

hi everyone! i really like what i’ve read. i also beleive we need more christian communities and pray this comes to the east side,minnesota, thru THE ACT’S 2 HOUSE AND WAY

I will keep all in prayor- god bless all ! always kevin :)

• 32 isaac // Jan 21, 2008 at 6:34 am

For all of you who are interested in taking further steps toward intentional community, I would recommend my friend Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove’s retreats. He lives at the Rutba House in Durham, where they host learning retreats focusing on this New Monasticism. Check out the website, and sign up:

• 33 Marty // Jan 29, 2008 at 9:23 am

Your Jesus People USA Link Does not work.
    try http://www.jpusa.org

• 34 anne // Feb 1, 2008 at 6:56 am

I live in Indianapolis, IN (though I may possibly be moving to Bloomington) and am interested in living in community with other Christians. If anyone is in this area or would just like to have a disscusion about Intentional Christian Community please let me know. atruitt06@yahoo.com

• 35 Owen // Feb 11, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I am in Wauwatosa, WI and after seeing how this election is going want more and more to get into an intentional community in SE Wisconsin. My wife and I practice attachment parenting, natural (organic) living, but first and foremost as followers of Jesus.

• 36 Lloyd // Feb 23, 2008 at 1:52 pm

A new community is forming in central Indiana. The exact location hasn’t been finalized. While this community hasn’t been planned as a Christian community, I’d like to see that change, and with things not yet set in stone, 6-8 Christians joining would have an immediate impact.
    Information on the group can be found on the homepage at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ss-indiana (SS stand for self-sufficiency). In a nutshell, the purpose of the group is to combine efforts and resources to survive hard times. By joining the group’s email list found at the page above, you’ll be able to communicate about the group. This does not confer any obligation on you, just the opportunity to discuss and plan.
    My address is scandalsandanimals@earthlink.net

• 37 Mel // Mar 4, 2008 at 10:19 pm

I left a message here last March. I’ve not corresponded with anyone yet. Like Priscilla’s mother-in-law (December 24 entry), I am interested in community for older women, non-Catholic Christian intentional living. A wonderful Christian convent-type community is here in OR and one in WA - both Catholic. I strongly believe that with so many baby-boomers and with society and the church becoming so separate and individualized, many older Christian women are and will suffer from loneliness and isolation. Now is the time for shared communities to meet this need. Who knows others or any women in OR who might be interested in such as community? Mel

• 38 Judith // Apr 1, 2008 at 7:25 am

Hi,
    I am in New Zealand… a single again nearly 60 year old and not happy living on my own!...well with just my cat…

I would like ideas for what to base a group on…other than the Lord…and how to go about setting up such a group…

Here we call living in a shared house…flatting … We have a group starting up in NZ …Abbeyfields and that is what the Abbeyfields group is about…It just doesnt seem to have enough room for craft peoples like me or my friend or space for friends to stay…

I really enjoyed my time with Stillwaters here in Wellington, but haven’t been well enough to go in to their meetings for sometime… they are a ministry to inner city folks as well…They shifted recently too…the website still says Cuba St tho it is Willis St now…

It is so good to see this site!!...

Rich blessings,

Judemoody@hotmail.com

• 39 isaac // Apr 1, 2008 at 7:36 am

Hi Judith, one good place to start is with this book: School(s) for Conversion.

• 40 Ways of Resistance | The Look of My Church [Part 3] // Apr 5, 2009 at 9:19 pm

[...] new kind of Christian faith collective. The language many folks are using to talk about this–intentional community or a new monasticism–seems to describe well the particular embodiment I’m writing about. [...]

• 41 Advice please :) - Christian Forums // Oct 10, 2013 at 12:27 am

[...] It would be worth spending some time on kibbutzes or communes, to see how they run them. It will be easier to plan if you get a sense of the flow of the day. You might even meet experts there who'd like to help you set it up. Search "intentional community." Commune Directory – List of Communes The Kibbutz intentional christian communities [...]