Ethics, the Bible, and Health Care

June 27th, 2005 by Jason · 6 Comments

I decided to do my final paper for my Ethics of Life and Death class on health care for a few reasons:

1. I knew next to nothing about the state of health care in America (I’m a spoiled twenty something who’s never really had to worry about it)

2. I had no clue how Scripture should inform a large-scale public policy issue such as this one.

3. I wanted to know the truth about why health care prices continue to skyrocket (abuse, immigration, fraud, technology, etc.)

It was one of my favorite papers for the class.  You can read it here.

Tags: bioethics · theology

• 1 blip » Stem-Cell Research Stymied // Jul 19, 2006 at 9:49 pm

[...] Who’s going to benefit from this technology? Most likely it will be the rich and insured for quite some time—and they’re the ones who already have one of the most advanced medical industries at their disposal. It’s certainly not going to be the 45 million uninsured we have in this nation. Why are we spending millions when we still haven’t figured out a system of basic health care for the least of these? [...]

• 2 Sabrina Miller // Jul 1, 2009 at 6:51 am

I am also interested in the relationship between health care and what the Bible has to teach us about caring for people physically. I was unable to open the document (this is an old post, I understand). If you still have it, would you be willing to email it to me? If it’s too much trouble, no worries.

• 3 Jason // Jul 1, 2009 at 8:47 am

Thanks for letting me know Sabrina. I’ve updated the link.

• 4 Sabrina Miller // Jul 1, 2009 at 8:53 am

Thanks so much! This is very helpful.

• 5 Brian // Aug 16, 2009 at 11:14 am

I really appreciated this paper. Thank you. With all that is going on surrounding the health care debate in this country, it was nice to read something that maintains a relatively open-mind and successfully draws attention to the need to consider Biblical implications when crafting public policy.

• 6 Ron // Aug 19, 2009 at 8:42 pm

five years after it was written, this paper has become very timely. Nicely written.