engagement

December 15th, 2005 by isaac · 10 Comments

After three wonderful years with my girlfriend Katie, I finally asked her to marry me! And, thank God, she said Yes. So, things are looking up. I mean, I am pretty much a loser without her—I would probably spend my life blogging if she wasn’t around to show me that it’s a perfect day for tennis :). In all seriousness, I am totally thrilled to marry her this June. I proposed to her during the last bit of the semester which made things difficult because I had to settle my excitement long enough to write really boring papers—like this one. So, this June begins my wonderful journey along the path of love and Christian discipleship that we Christians call marriage. Who knows what exciting surprises are in store for us.

...Speaking of my future, does anybody want to hire a newly graduated seminarian? I get my M.Div this May and need a job. Any suggestions? My fellow students are Methodist, so they have bishops that send them off to jobs—employment is already secured. And me, on the other hand… Well, I’ve inherited a history of non-denominational evangelicalism that doesn’t really care that much about theologically educated ministers. And none of my churches have shown continued interest in my gifts, or in helping me discern my gifts. So, if anyone has any great ideas out there for someone with an M.Div degree, let me know.

Tags: life

• 1 Justin Nickelsen // Dec 15, 2005 at 2:37 pm

Congratulations!

Marriage is an excellent vocation!

Justin

• 2 Justin Nickelsen // Dec 15, 2005 at 2:38 pm

There are plenty of jobs in the Catholic Church, btw.

;)~

• 3 isaac // Dec 15, 2005 at 3:48 pm

Justin, thanks. And about a future for me in the RCC… My Catholic friends always remind me that I am one of them whether I like it or not because of my baptism. Yeah, that’s right: baptisms are binding. My parents, the good Latin American Catholics that they were, made sure I was properly baptized at Mass when I was an infant.

• 4 Eric Lee // Dec 15, 2005 at 6:10 pm

Isaac! Congratulations, bro! We’ll be “blog buddies” planning our respective weddings! hahaha!

I’m going to be mixing grad school with the last few months of wedding planning this next Spring semester. I’m probably insane for doing so…prayers are desired :)

We’ll be prayin’ for ya, bro. Have fun!

Peace,

Eric

p.s. My pastor continues to remind us, “All that matters is the vows.” Good advice!

• 5 Scott // Dec 15, 2005 at 8:12 pm

Congratulations on your engagement!

I will be praying for you. I know what you are going through right now. It is tough to be different theologically in the evangelical world these days. Hang in there.

Again, congratulations on your wedding and upcoming graduation.

Peace,
    Scott

• 6 Jason // Dec 16, 2005 at 2:00 pm

Way to go! Getting engaged seems to have made you funnier as well. I was laughing out loud on this one.

• 7 Melissa // Dec 20, 2005 at 12:24 pm

Yeah! Isaac, how wonderful!

Also, I think I have a job for you. The pastor of my church, Portland Mennonite, is going on sabbatical and we are looking to hire an interim for at least six months starting this summer. Any interest?

Melissa

• 8 Drew // Dec 21, 2005 at 8:07 pm

Congratulations, Isaac!

• 9 Scott // Jan 4, 2006 at 4:34 pm

I didn’t know. Congratulations to you and Katie both!

• 10 isaac // Jan 5, 2006 at 5:59 am

Thank you everyone—Eric, Scott, Melissa, Scott, Drew, and Jason. The engagement is exciting and I’m looking forward to June when we get married. But untill then… lots of planning.