Henri de Lubac on a supernatural anthropology

December 16th, 2005 by isaac · 17 Comments

Justin over at ressourcement started up a new blog on Henri de Lubac. And he graciously offered to post one of my papers on de Lubac on his new site. If you don’t know de Lubac, you should. He’s one of the theological greats of the 20th century. I imagine a hightened North American, protestant interest in his work since John Milbank recently wrote a book about de Lubac: The Suspended Middle. I read it in manuscript form last year, and picked up the published copy a few weeks ago. Maybe I’ll do a little book review. But, in the meantime, I wanted to post a paper I wrote on Henri de Lubac’s supernatural anthropology. De Lubac’s work on the relationship between nature and grace is said to have inaugurated a revolution in theology. Hopefully my paper encourages further explorations into de Lubac’s profound theological work. Here’s a quote from my paper:

De Lubac pulls from the storehouse of the great tradition of the church and finds resources for the liberation of the human from the suffocating grip of strict naturalism. Instead of allowing an independent reality for a natural end devoid of the supernatural, he brings the order of knowledge “explained by the ‘natural philosophers’” under the nourishing order of the supernatural: there is no “last end” of the human apart from that which “transcends the earthly horizon.” The horizon of the naturalist is located within the order of the supernatural that whispers the divine calling in the depths of the human: de Lubac’s consistent refrain is “the natural is pulled by the supernatural.” De Lubac will not allow a naturalist anthropology that closes off the deep groaning of the restless human heart from the “unceasing exploration of the infinite abyss of the Godhead.”

If you would like to read my paper, please post a comment below and I’ll be sure to send it to you.

Update: follow this link for my paper: de Lubac

Tags: papers · theology

• 1 neyle sollee // Jul 8, 2007 at 4:40 am

thank you for your thoughts of de Lubac. I am presenting at a conference this Sept (ITEST) on science and faith. I will using this type of thinking in my talk. God bless, neyle

• 2 isaac // Jul 22, 2007 at 7:54 am

Neyle, thanks for reading my thoughts on de Lubac. I hope your presentation goes well.

• 3 William // Oct 10, 2008 at 8:14 am

Hello Isaac,

Is your article still available? If so, I’m definitely interested in reading further.

Thanks.

William

• 4 isaac // Oct 10, 2008 at 8:20 am

Thanks for reading it, William. I just emailed you a copy of the paper. Hopefully it’s useful.

peace

• 5 anijaba // Nov 30, 2008 at 7:57 am

HI. I am writing a Master thesis on Nature in christianity and wonder if possible to read your article? Thank u ania

• 6 Antoine // Dec 11, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Hi,
    I am interested in reading your paper. Is it still available?
    I would like to know more about Delubac’s anthropology. Was he a trichotomist?

Thanks

• 7 isaac // Dec 22, 2008 at 6:02 am

Anijaba and Antoine, sorry it’s taken me a while to get to you. I’ll be sure to email you the paper. Thanks for your interest.

• 8 James // Jan 26, 2010 at 7:06 am

Hey! I would love to see your paper on this as well. Much enjoying your blog…

All the best,

James

• 9 Greg Rossi // Feb 1, 2010 at 12:59 am

I would very much like to read your article on de Lubac, if its still available. His phrase “unceasing exploration of the infinite ABYSS of the Godhead” Iway find rather startling however.
    Anyway, I you would also keep me and my family in your prayers, that would be great. We’re going through some rather hard times…
    God bless!

• 10 greg hogsett // Feb 1, 2010 at 7:35 am

hey I would love to read the paper. Can you send it to me? I will dleave feedback if you wish after I finish.

In Him
    Greg

• 11 isaac // Feb 2, 2010 at 7:05 am

James, Greg, and Greg: thank you for your interest in my paper. I haven’t thought about that stuff in a very long time. I hope the paper is somehow helpful to your own work. You are welcome to offer feedback after you’ve read it.

peace,
    isv

• 12 muraya // Mar 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I am writting on De Lubacs anthropology and your paper will be a helpful source. Would you mind to post it please?

• 13 isaac // Mar 30, 2010 at 9:15 am

Hi Muraya,

Yes, I emailed you the paper. Please let me know if you did not receive it.

• 14 Muraya // Apr 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hi Isaac,
    Happy Easter. I did not get the Paper. could you please try sending it again

• 15 isaac // Apr 14, 2010 at 4:19 am

Muraya and others, the paper is now posted in the post. Hopefully that helps.

peace,
    isaac

• 16 Ben // Feb 2, 2011 at 6:15 am

it would be a pleasure if you could send a copy of your paper also to me. I love to read it

• 17 isaac // Feb 2, 2011 at 7:11 am

Thank you, Ben, for your interest. I have emailed you a copy of my paper.