isaac’s wedding

June 28th, 2006 by isaac · 16 Comments

Ok. So it looks like this blog is dead. No posts for a month. Jason and I have failed those four or five people out there who bother to read our ramblings. Forgive us, O faithful few. But I think we have some decent excuses. First of all, Jason and I both just graduated from seminary—Jason from Fuller and me from Duke. That means our lives were really busy for the past weeks. A good excuse, right?

Katie, the BrideIf that’s not good enough, then I have another excuse that hopefully relieves me from your bitter gaze (but, Jason might not escape). Between my last post and this one I got married! On June 17th, Katie and I were married by my friend and mentor Ben Patterson at First Presbyterian Church in Ft. Collins, CO. It was a wonderful celebration. Jason posted some pictures here, and you can see a slideshow here.

There’s so much I can say about the ceremony and reception. My bride was beautiful. My groom’s men supplied needed support and laughs. Family and friends blessed us by traveling long distances to join in blessing Katie and my marriage. One of the deacon’s from our church in Chapel Hill came to the wedding with a blessing and a prayer from our congregation. Not only was it quite moving to hear Sandra read the blessing/prayer from our church back in North Carolina. But I loved the theology of marriage communicated in the blessing/prayer. Here’s the prayer part of it:

Most gracious God, we give you thanks for your tender love in sending us Jesus Christ, God with us, a child born of a Jewish mother, who revealed the way of the cross to be the way of new life. We pray that, through your grace, the marriage of Katie and Isaac will bear the marks of your self-giving love revealed in Jesus’ life and death, in order that you will make them worthy for the resurrection, and that others may see your love for the world displayed in their marriage. By the power of the Holy Spirit, pour out the abundance of your blessing upon this man and this woman, these companions on the way to eternal life. Defend them from every enemy. Lead them into all peace. Let their love for each other be a seal upon their hearts, a mantle about their shoulders, and a crown upon their foreheads. Bless them in their work and in their companionship; in their sleeping and in their waking; in their joys and in their sorrows; in their life and in their death. Finally, in your mercy, bring them to that banquet table where your saints feast for ever in your heavenly home; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

If you’re looking for a wedding prayer, please feel free to use this one.

I also wanted to share our declaration of intent and vows. It’s mostly straight from the Mennonite Minister’s Manual, with some selective addditions from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer.

Declaration of intent:

To the groom:

Minister: Isaac, will you give yourself to Katie, to be her husband: to love her, comfort her, honor and protect her; and forsaking all others, be faithful to her so long as you both shall live?

Groom: I will.

To the bride:

Minister: Katie, will you give yourself to Isaac, to be his wife: to love him, comfort him, honor and protect him; and forsaking all others, to be faithful to him so long as you both shall live?

Bride: I will.

To the parents (parents stand):

Minister: Do you, parents of Isaac and Katie, give your blessing to this marriage?

Parents: We do.

To the gathered community (congregation stands):

Minister: Will you, as friends of Isaac and Katie, do all in your power to support and uphold this marriage?

Congregation: We will.

Vows

Groom: I, Isaac, take you, Katie, to be my wife. I promise before God and these friends to be your loving and faithful husband, to share with you in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, and to join with you so that together we may serve God and others, as long as we both shall live. This is my solemn vow.

Bride: I, Katie, take you, Isaac, to be my husband. I promise before God and these friends to be your loving and faithful wife, to share with you in plenty and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, and to join with you so that together we may serve God and others, as long as we both shall live. This is my solemn vow.

Ring Exchange:

Groom: Katie, I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you, in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Bride: Isaac, I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you, in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Tags: life · theology

• 1 Jason // Jun 28, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Dangit, you called me out. Now I’m really going to have to start doing something with all this free time ;)

So glad you posted that blessing from your North Carolina church. I about lost it at that part in the ceremony. Something about having someone from your home church come out and bless what you two werre doing was, well, moving, as you put it. I think it was the intentionality and purposefulness of it. Or, perhaps, it was the sense that this Durham church had something that was worth the effort to give you two.

• 2 Lee // Jun 29, 2006 at 7:18 am

As one of the faithful few I hereby prod you both to produce more of your thought-inducing posts! ;-)

And congratulations, Isaac! May you have many years of happiness togehter! And congrats to both you guys on your graduations!

• 3 Mel // Jun 29, 2006 at 11:06 am

yeah Isaac! Congratulations!

• 4 Camassia // Jun 29, 2006 at 1:38 pm

Congratulations, Isaac! And your wife is really pretty, not that that matters from the perspective of Christian love or anything.;-)

• 5 Eric Lee // Jun 29, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Awesome! Congratulations on the wedding and graduation, Isaac! And congrats, Jason, on the graduation! (anybody else? :P )

That’s a very profound and beautiful prayer. Thanks for sharing it.

That was a cool slideshow, too.

Good to see y’all posting again!

Peace,

Eric

• 6 Chris Klopp // Jun 29, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Congratulations! It must have been an incredible wedding. I’m officiating at a renewal of vows ceremony for a couple of friends this summer, and I think I’ll use that great prayer. May God continue to bless your marriage.

Peace,
    Chris

• 7 Jeremy Alder // Jul 1, 2006 at 7:17 am

Blessings to you and Katie as ya’ll embark on this new stage of the journey. I’m going to miss seeing you around the div school. I hope we are able to stay in touch.

• 8 isaac // Jul 2, 2006 at 7:13 am

Thanks for all the kind words of congratulations. I have such great web-buddies.

Camassia, like my former professor Stanley Hauerwas enjoys saying, lust is good. Without it we’d be uninteresting calculators—the Enlightenment dream come true!

Chris, yes, please use the prayer.

Jeremy, thanks for the blessings. The other piece of news on my journey is that I’ve taken the job of pastor at my church in Chapel Hill. So, I’ll be around town. I know you attend Emmaus Way, and ya’ll meet in the evenings. But sometime you should stop by Chapel Hill Mennonite. We meet at 5pm.

• 9 Brooke // Jul 3, 2006 at 8:45 pm

Congratulations, Isaac and Katie!! How exciting! Thanks for sharing pictures. And I am also very excited to hear about the new pastor at CHMF—sounds like a great arrangement for all involved. I’m glad I get to keep in touch with your life a little bit via Blip. Prayers for you and Katie as you continue life together.

• 10 isaac // Jul 11, 2006 at 4:31 am

Hey Brooke,
    Thank you for the kind congratulations and your prayers. It is good to see that you still visit the blip. Please email me sometime so I can know what’s going on in your life.
    Peace.

• 11 Kristen // Jul 14, 2006 at 9:44 am

Isaac, congratulations! The few pictures I saw were beautiful. We just had our own wedding (did you know I am now married) in March, and what a thrilling opportunity to married! I am loving it… and growing a lot. Painful at times, but that’s a good thing. If you are interested in the story, go to http://www.jayandthecanoe.blogspot.com Pretty incredible.
    We are in Eugene, OR for the summer… taking more linguistics classes and preparing to head overseas, working in language development. It’s an exciting time.
    Again, congratulations

Kristen (formerly Childs!!) McGee

• 12 Isaac S. // Aug 11, 2006 at 12:57 am

Isaac, I met a friend of yours, Mike (I didn’t catch his surname), at Cameron Squire and Sarah Stockton’s wedding. He’s dating Jessica Stockton and lives in NYC as a publisher for K-12 educational materials. I hope this sounds familiar, but I can try to share more later. He referred me to rustyparts.com and here I’m just encountering this rich “update.” What a joy! Thank you for your thoughtfulness in the post. I feel as if you brought the most important part of the ceremony to the internet for us to witness. A gift! I look forward to reconnecting in time.

Peace.
    Isaac Steiner

• 13 isaac // Aug 11, 2006 at 3:44 am

Isaac S., it is so good to hear from you! And that’s for checking out the website. I’d love to hear more about what you’re up to. I’ll shoot you an email.

peace,

isv

• 14 isaacS. // Aug 11, 2006 at 10:22 am

Excellent! I’d be glad to send an update.

• 15 celia // Aug 24, 2006 at 9:54 am

Congrats, old friend! Your bride is absolutely stunning! She looks extremely happy! :-) Marriage is bliss when you walk with the Lord…he who finds a wife finds a good thing! I’m happy for you! By the way – we’re here now – in Charlotte! Come bring your beautiful wife to meet us!

• 16 Terriann // Jul 6, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I stumbled across your site while searching for marriage vows for my upcomming wedding in August. It looks like you had a beautiful wedding and I love the prayer. I would like to use it as part of our ceremony. I hope your marriage is blessed and things are going well.. an update would be nice as I see no action on your site since 2006!