Gryffin Arrives

October 6th, 2008 by Jason · 19 Comments

On September 28th we finally completed our 9 months of waiting and had our first kid, Gryffin (yes, the name is inspired by Gryffindor in Harry Potter, but Gryffin’s are also mythological creatures that you’ll find on old churches because they symbolized the dual nature of Jesus.  A theologian’s dream back story…).  Anyhow, at 2am Nance noticed contractions starting, by 6am we were counting and watching TV on the laptop in bed to pass the time, by 1pm we headed off to the hospital, by 7pm we were feeling desperate and Nance was in serious pain, by 8pm she had an epidural, and at 9:18pm she gave birth to a healthy 6lb 7.5oz boy.

It was one of the most incredible events of my 28 years and hanging out with him these past 8 days has been better than the anticipation.  Anyhow, for those interested, below is a video of the day, and I have a slideshow up on flickr.

Tags: life

• 1 isaac // Oct 6, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Congratulations! Way to go Nancy! (and Jason). Nancy looked incredibly brave and with it. Beautiful video and excellent use of Sigur Ros. Jason, I can’t believe that Nancy let you post all that birthing footage.

Ya’ll may be hip enough to know about all the new parenting trends. So, this may be old new; but I thought I’d pass it along. Check out Melissa’s blog on “communication elimination.”

• 2 greg // Oct 6, 2008 at 7:31 pm

oh man, that is beautiful!
    nice work you two!

• 3 Kim // Oct 6, 2008 at 9:17 pm

that is awesome! i am so glad you put that video together so we could share in the moment. how cool! nice effect on the video to show the birth without actually “showing” the birth. that was amazing! well done nonce. is that was pushing with an epidural looks like? not , “GEEEETTT IIIITTTT OUUUUUUTTT!” that is what my face looked like. not all calm and composed like yours. :) with Stella the epidural didn’t take on both sides. believe me, there is no point in getting the epidural if it doesn’t take on BOTH sides. there is nothing more amazing (that i know of) than the moment when they put that little baby on your chest. nothing like it. he is beautiful. looks like Jason to me at this point. congratulations you two. he is amazing!

• 4 david and chris (and jonas) // Oct 6, 2008 at 10:52 pm

amazing! so beautiful. congrats to you both on this life-changing experience. awesome video- made us feel like we were there!

• 5 Eric Lee // Oct 7, 2008 at 3:12 am

Congrats! Wow, great video; gosh I’m all teary. What a gift!

• 6 Aunt Rita // Oct 7, 2008 at 6:10 am

Thank you! I smiled and cried through the whole video.
    I love you all and can’t wait to meet Gryffin.

Welcome to this beautiful world!

• 7 Jen // Oct 7, 2008 at 11:06 am

Congrats you two! That is awesome!! I was thinking of you both during one of my middle of the night feedings and figured that i’d check your website as i thought you’d post something!! He is so cute and i am so impressed that Nance allowed video! No such luck during any of ours!! You may have heard but if not we welcomed two boys after 38 long weeks. Both are doing great and they were 7lbs each at birth! Nancy thought i was big when she saw me at the Dr’s that day well i got got even bigger!! Anyhow, hope all is well and next time you’re in our neck of the woods give a call so we can meet him!

• 8 Camassia // Oct 7, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Congratulations Jason and Nancy! Maybe you should name the next one Slyther …:-)

• 9 Grandma Marge // Oct 9, 2008 at 8:30 am

Incredible video. It’s truly a miraculous gift to welcome Gryffin! Looking forward to meeting him.

• 10 DeAnza Spaulding // Oct 9, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Hey Jason and Nancy! Thank you for sharing! I’m glad I had the opportunity to meet Gryffin already! This video was an amazing documentary of your journey. Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Enjoy the days ahead :)

• 11 Way and Carie // Oct 12, 2008 at 9:00 pm

What a wondrous adventure. You will hear this many times, but it just gets more and more fun as they grow from poop-eat-sleep machines to toddling little human beings. He is so lucky to have you both as parents!

• 12 Great Auntie Linda // Oct 13, 2008 at 6:39 am

Wowsers I came to work, opened my email and cried my makeup into a mess. Precious gift to our world: Gryffin – hardy welcome. Congrats Jason and Nancy. Thank you for sharing the video. I am so delighted and happy for you both. And the fun has only just begun. Whoopee

• 13 Helen Myers // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:09 am

Jason, what a wonderful gift you gave me on a Monday morning watching the magic of this birth. Congratulations to you and Nancy and Welcome to the World…Gryffin! Auntie Linda, Your right, I did not have make-up on when I cried watching the video, easier that way! Congratulations also to Ann and Greg. Feel a hug coming your way, Helen xoxo

• 14 Great Uncle Wayland // Oct 13, 2008 at 9:55 am

Nancy and Jason, I am very grateful for the beautiful, flowing, open and intimate way you have shared your special experience with us all. What a wonderful and generous gift you have given. I am very touched.

Uncle Wayland

• 15 donna isobel // Oct 17, 2008 at 11:56 am

your video totally made me cry… wow amazing.. thank you for sharing… just beautiful. :)

• 16 Suprita // Oct 17, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Never seen such a video before Jason.. Aw man!.. I feel like having a baby now!!
    Beautiful beautiful beautiful.. Congrats once again.. and thanks for sharing it..

• 17 la v // Oct 23, 2008 at 3:02 pm

wow! i can’t believe i just saw that for the first time! that was awesome! i’ve been so impressed by you two… you make parenthood look…easy. i know it’s not, but i appreciate the image you project to help the birthaphobes among us come around. nancy- you should be a movie star.

• 18 Stefanie Hopkins // Oct 23, 2008 at 3:34 pm

AMAZING! I cried the whole way through. Praise God for your little one. What an incredible blessing! Thank you for sharing Gryffin’s bday with us! Sending love from B-more.

• 19 Nancy LaPlaca and Andy Bardwell // Nov 22, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Congratulations – wonderful video – enjoy your new little boy…