Desperate: a sermon on the Syrophoenician woman

September 7th, 2009 by isaac · 29 Comments

Title: Desperate
Texts: Mark 7:24-37
Date: Sept 6, 2009

Jesus wants to keep a low profile in Tyre. He’s in Gentile country, far away from the Jewish masses that flock to him wherever he goes. A woman comes to him. She’s desperate. Her daughter needs to be set free from an unclean spirit. The woman comes to Jesus even though she’s a Gentile, a foreigner, an outsider; she has no business coming to Jesus, but she does anyway. She needs help, and nothing will stop her.

Where do you find yourself in the story? Who are you? Are you with Jesus, being accosted by a beggar? Or, are you with the beggar, trying to get something you desperately need? Think about it for a second. How do you fit in the story?

Most of the time, when we read ourselves into the story, we probably put ourselves in the position of Jesus. When we read about Jesus, we think that we are supposed to imagine ourselves in his place. This has something to do with the way we talk about the Christian life as discipleship; we follow Jesus. We find Jesus in the story, and think about how he is a model for our lives. We imitate Christ; we follow in the way of Jesus. After all, that’s the Mennonite way. Jesus is our example; he shows us how to live.

So, let’s try that way of reading our story today. What does Jesus model for us? How is he an example for you and I to follow? The hardest part of the story is that Jesus calls the woman a dog. She asks for Jesus to heal her daughter, and Jesus calls her an undeserving dog. He says, “Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs” (Mk 7:27).

This is as bad as it sounds. Yes, Jesus calls this Gentile woman a dog. It was as scandalous then as it is now. Is Jesus narrow-minded at this point in the story? He knows what any Jew would know: that this woman did not belong at the table with Jews. She shouldn’t be coming around the Jewish neighborhood and asking for Jesus’ help. She has her own people, her own healers and doctors and magicians. Why trouble Jesus? He doesn’t belong to her. She isn’t one of his people. She is a dog, a Gentile, an outsider. She’s a dog, and Jesus tells her so.

This insult is probably lost on us because we might like dogs. They are cute. We have them as pets and companions. For some of us, dogs become part of the family. A couple days ago, Katie gave me an article from the Economist about how Leona Helmsley left $12m in her will for her dog, Trouble. What’s so bad about being a dog?—especially if are Helmsley’s dog?

Well, in 1st century Palestine, there was no such thing as domestic dogs. The only dogs around were wild dogs, roaming the wilderness, scavengers, eating unclean animals and even human carcasses. For Jesus to call this Gentile woman a dog meant that she was unclean and shouldn’t be hanging around Jews.

I know it’s really hard for us to understand, but we’re trying to step into Jesus’ shoes so we can walk with him. Jesus is our example, remember? He leads; we follow. Well, it seems that Jesus is simply being true to his calling when he calls this woman a dog. She comes from an unclean people and an unclean spirit possesses her daughter. And Jesus is the Jewish Messiah, the one who came to purify Israel, to redeem the Jews from sins. Jesus comes to heal the children of Israel, and Jesus will not waste what he has to give on people like this woman and her daughter. As far as Jesus is concerned, they are not part of God’s plan.

But this Gentile woman teaches Jesus something. This woman, who Jesus calls a dog, opens Jesus’ eyes to a reality he had not expected. God’s love overflows further than ever asked or imagined. Yes, through Jesus God invites the Jews to the table of eternal life, but it’s an extravagant banquet. The table can’t hold all the food; when God provides, there is always more than enough. God is like my dad; he always makes way too much food for the people he invites for dinner. There are always leftovers.

For some reason, Jesus doesn’t see that at first. But the woman doesn’t take “no” for an answer. “Lord,” she says, “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs” (v. 28). It’s a clever response, one that seems to surprise Jesus into a new awakening. She’s right, dogs eat too—they also get some of the food from the table.

So Jesus responds: “For saying that, you may go—the demon has left your daughter” (v. 29). She gets what she needs. And Jesus discovers the overflow of God’s grace.

What can this mean for us, if we try to follow Jesus? It means that sometimes we have something to learn from beggars. No matter what we may think or believe about the people who ask us for stuff, they may have the power to open our eyes to something new.

But there’s another way to read ourselves into this story. Instead of putting us in the position of Jesus, we can see what happens when we step into the woman’s shoes. She’s desperate. This mother would do anything for her tormented daughter—to make the pain go away. She hears about a Jewish man who’s in the area; some Jews call him their Messiah, whatever that means. He has healing powers. She has tried everything for her daughter; maybe this Jesus guy can do the trick.

So the mother goes where she doesn’t belong. It’s like crashing a private party and asking the guest of honor, who you know only because he is the center of attention, and asking him if he has jumper cables; and if so, if he doesn’t mind taking a moment to give your car a jump out back. An inconvenient interruption, and quite inappropriate.

It’s like that, but much worse, and the mother is a whole lot more desperate. She’s not worried about a silly car; she is a mother who can’t help but do anything and everything for her daughter. She doesn’t really care that she doesn’t belong. The suffering of her daughter compels her to violate boundaries, to go where she shouldn’t, to beg from strangers. Desperation can make you go crazy. When you care about something so much—it’s all you can think about—and you feel like your hands are tied, you go crazy. Desperation drives you mad. The mother would do anything for her daughter. Even beg from a poor Jewish peasant named Jesus, who may or may not be a magician, who may or may not be the Messiah. But she has to find out. Her daughter’s life depends on it. So she goes and she begs. She’s desperate.

What are you desperate for? What drives you crazy? What do you want? What would compel you to find some poor stranger and beg from him? Do you want anything that much? It’s hard to imagine that kind of desperation. Sure, there are plenty of things that I want, but I can’t imagine going crazy for them. I want to be good at my job. I want to be a good husband. I want people to like me. I want to pay off the mortgage on our house. But none of these drive me crazy.

That’s why it is so hard for me to put myself in the woman’s shoes in our story. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be so desperate. I’ve had a good life so far, and I’m grateful for it. But I also notice that all the things that I just listed, all the things that I want, are all about me. Yet the woman in the story is desperate for the sake of someone else. She doesn’t want anything for herself; she wants something for her daughter. She is desperate because of her relationship with someone else who is in pain. She is driven to Jesus because she cares so much about someone in pain. Desperate for someone else’s sake.

I went to Ethan Olsen-Getty’s funeral on Friday. He was Eric and Dayna’s baby—they worship over at Durham Mennonite, and Dayna preached to us this past year. Early in her pregnancy, Dayna found out that Ethan suffered from a birth defect. He would die shortly after birth. There was nothing anyone could do. That’s desperation. They wanted something so bad, they wanted this little bundle of life to survive, and they could do nothing about it. So, they did the only thing they could do: they prayed, and cried, and loved Ethan as best they could while he was still in Dayna’s womb.

Maybe desperation just happens to us, like it did to Dayna and Eric, and like it did to the mother in our story. She didn’t plan for her daughter to suffer. It just happened and she had to figure out what to do.

But I also know that there are plenty of things going on in our lives and around us that could make us desperate, if we let them. But it’s not very fashionable to be desperate. We’re supposed to be in control, cool and composed. We don’t want to be like beggars—they are always needy, always making inappropriate requests. They make us uncomfortable. So, obviously we don’t want to be in their shoes. We don’t want to be desperate.

But that’s what it would mean if we tried to read ourselves into this story as the mother. She begs. Maybe we should too. But first we have to take time to figure out what we want. What are you desperate for? Why do you want what you want? Should you be desperate for other things? Who is the most desperate person you know? And what can you do to share in their desperation?—to beg with them?

Then we will be like the woman in our story, who can do nothing else but draw close to Jesus, to call him “Lord” and to beg, like a dog. Blessed are those who are desperate, for they shall know God.

Tags: sermons

• 1 Sister Davis // Oct 15, 2009 at 10:01 am

Enjoyed the message,very interesting twist in the story. I recieved something different out of a familiar passage ( What am I desperate for?) . Thanks
    God Bless You Pastor.

• 2 Annie Dawson // Oct 15, 2009 at 10:18 am

I got a lot from reading this passage. I can understand it from the spiritual realm and the natural. I got a better insight.

• 3 Ed Hyland // Oct 17, 2009 at 2:46 am

Thanks for your message on this challenging scripture. It helped me to realize just how much of a dog role this woman actually played on behalf of her daughter – so much so that she doesn’t appear to be the least bit offended by Jesus’ insult. Being that desperate, that focused on begging for what she wants to help her daughter, she has no regard for herself.

• 4 isaac // Oct 20, 2009 at 5:09 am

Thanks for reading my sermon—Sister Davis, Annie, and Ed. I’m glad you got something from my sermon. And thanks for your comments.

peace,
    isaac

• 5 sandi fassbiner // Dec 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Very good. our pastor Dan, just talked about this last night. And we should be so thankful she did that. it got Jesus to see our need of salvation to. It is a good story, letting me know that God can change his mind if we beg enough. Kinda like Lot, but Lot tried to save the folks in Sodom God gave the chance. God gives us that will to beg if and when we need it. Jesus was and is so real.
    There are so many parents who could beg on behalf of their children and choose not to because they think its gonna play its self out. If only they could beg for that adult child with migraines, or drug problems, or self savlation that gets them no where, or cancer, or prostitution. the list can go on and on, yet there is devil who has us fooled with pride to humble ourselves to the begging of asking Jesus to heal our children. Great story.

• 6 rana // Mar 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

the jews are sick an djesus is a racist.. god didn’t choose the jews

• 7 isaac // Mar 30, 2010 at 9:13 am

Hi Rana, I am not sure what you are talking about. Whatever it is you are trying to say, you are wrong about God not choosing the Jews. Read Romans 10 and 11. As Paul says toward the end of his argument, “all of Israel will be saved” (Rom. 11:26).

• 8 WEEK SIX – A PERSISTENT WIDOW « BIBLICAL JOY // May 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm

[...] text in Mark 7. It is written by a Mennonite pastor. It has some interesting thoughts. Read SYRO and let me know what you [...]

• 9 Asma Sonwani // Jun 25, 2010 at 2:06 am

Thank you so much Pastor it has really chalenged my prayer life.

Being a seminary Student and a Indian Mennonite i really enjoyed it God bless you .

• 10 Bryan // Jun 29, 2010 at 7:29 am

It took me a long time to find your work…............. looks good. Preparing a sermon on Noah, about God changing his mind sometimes, this woman showed up as an “aside” and a good reference to Jesus changing his mind. You treat this well.

After the basic sermon, a man approached to affirm that it had made a difference in his prayer life. God IS always the same, yesterday, today, and forever, BUT God’s consistent love does mean that he changes his mind! If he was as immovable and intractable as Buddha, then prayer would be an empty exercise.

Thanks for opening this. I’ll be looking in on your work more!

Bryan

• 11 isaac // Jun 29, 2010 at 8:52 am

Bryan, thanks for reading my sermon. I’m glad you found something in it that was useful for your own preaching. Please feel free to use anything you want.

peace,
    isv

• 12 proof that Jesus was a fraud // Oct 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

This passage proves beyond any doubt that the whole Jewish religions purpose is to create farm animals and sheeple of the rest of the world.

[A] woman whose daughter had an unclean spirit heard about [Jesus], and came and fell down at his feet. The woman was a Greek, by race a Phoenician from Syria. And she started asking him to drive the demon out of her daughter. He responded to her like this: “Let the children first be fed, since it isn’t good to take bread out of children’s mouths and throw it to the dogs! [kynaria]” But as a rejoinder she says to him: “Sir, even the dogs under the table get to eat scraps dropped by children!” Then he said to her: “For that retort, be on your way, the demon has come out of your daughter.” She returned home and found the child lying on the bed and the demon gone (Mk. 7:25-30).

So who’s the racist? MARK 7:25-30 , JESUS OR MATTHEW 15:21-28.? Is there a God here?
    Hardly, just Jews trying to throw the world into 2000 yrs of dark ages.

Had it not been for Monotheism’s destruction of Hellenistic thought we would be 2000 years further ahead technologically than we are now.—-Carl Sagan.

• 13 Sandi Fassbinder // Oct 4, 2010 at 7:43 am

Carl Sagan, your Jesus Fraud deliverd me from something only he could do.
    Your Hardly God, well he is awsome and is fishing just for you today.
    I want to invite you to my church in GRand Junction Colorado
    FELLOWSHIP CHURCH along interstate 1-70. Please come and tell us more
    about your Fraud Jesus. and Your Hardly God.
    I to at one time sorta felt the same way. I was so mad that I thought he took
    my mama and daddy. all the times I suffered I wondered why the Hardly God walked with me through all of that.
    Who really cares about white black jew muslim christian farmer doctor poor-girl rich-girl free or bond, we only care about our selfish me’s. You keep staying mad, do it while on a mountain, with the beautiful trees whispering in the wind, “while I fall asleep for winter I will be a special gift for man and change my colors”, and while the trees are whispering in the wind, they will say “glory to Carl’s Hardly God”, ” Glory to Carl’s Fraud Jesus”. We were green and now we are in wonder why he chose us to do this , but we will. “Why couldn’t Carl change colors to?” So as you go into the fall of your life , ENJOY.
    As for me and my house I am grateful to the woman begging for the crumbs. They are delicious.

• 14 Blake // Oct 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Although well prepared there is a slight misunderstanding on your part of this passage of the Syrophoenician woman. As a college student and a Bible minor I have recently been researching controversial passages such as this one. As you know the Bible often speaks in signs and not literal language. Yes this passage contains the word dog but Jesus is not referring to the woman as a dog because she is a Gentile. Actually He is not referring to her as a dog at all. As understood Jesus purpose for coming to Earth was to teach (Mark 1:38) Here Jesus had been performing miracles for quite sometime. Obviously He was tired. We know this because we know when Jesus heals it takes something from him( seen in the story of the woman bleeding internally and touching the hem of Jesus cloak and being healed. Feeling the power leave him Jesus asks who touched him.) Back to the subject at hand Jesus is tired and wants to teach. When Jesus says “Let the children be fed first, for it is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs” He isn’t calling this woman a dog, He is simply saying I came here to teach not to perform more miracles. Miracles were not his purpose. When the woman replies “even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs” she is saying that since Jesus is here and her child is here that He might as well heal her child. It is because of her faith He heals her child, not b/c she taught him something. Jesus heals those who are faithful as we can see He only partially healed the blind man of Bethsaida b/c of his lack of faith. Also we know the Bible doesn’t contradict itself so we know Jesus is God, b/c Jesus is the Word and in the beginning the word was God. Summary of John 1:1 therefore God or Jesus (both one in the same) cannot contradict Himself and if Jesus was saying that this woman wasn’t worthy Jesus time b/c she is a Gentile He would contradict the passage Galations 3:28 here is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Therefore Jesus could not have been condemning this woman for her race. Thank you for taking the time to read this if you would like to discuss this further please contact me through my email or on this comment.

God Bless
    In Christian Love, Blake Hodges

• 15 proof that Jesus was a fraud // Oct 29, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Blake
    Are you kidding me ? You extrapolated all that nonsense out of an obvious statement of hate and racism coming out of the mouth of Jesus and the two Jews who wrote it, Matt and Matthew? give me a break next time you open the bible, bleat a little like a sheep while youre reading it, because they got you where they want you. By becoming a “Christian” or even a Muslim you are simply converting to another sect of Judaism. That is the only way to explain the hatred in the Bible, Torah and Koran.These 3 religions are one in the same. Enjoy you stupor.

You kneel to a “god” who called a desperate woman , her sick daughter and a whole race of people whos accomplishments till that time were unmatched, unworthy dogs.

Sorry, this monotheistic joke which plunged Europe to 2000 yrs of Dark ages is not for me. But if it brings peace to you thats great. Typically most narcotics have the same effect. They burn out your mind, and give you either a sense of superiority or a sense of unworthyness.

good luck

• 16 Bryan // Oct 30, 2010 at 6:05 am

This last comment, “proof that Jesus was a fraud” struck me as a misunderstanding of something basic. Jesus was not a “fraud” but a human being. He emptied himself, as Paul says, and became like US. He was not a spirit just pretending to be human, but human. If the incarnation is less than INCARNATION, then we have a deception.

It’s just as if the resurrection were only a divine drama. Early on, the church had to debate the ACTUAL death of Jesus, which is the only path to a resurrection. There are mysteries all over the place, but the real death of Jesus on the cross, and the real humanity of Jesus on the earth are central to the whole.

The violence spoken of in that post? As each of the religions syncretized and absorbed the culture around them, they became more and more violent. So, in the Dark Ages, the commitment to annihilate opposing viewpoints goes back to the secular Roman roots, and not to the founders.

In our time? We have more of the spirit of the Crusades than the spirit of Jesus, don’t we?

• 17 proof that Jesus was a fraud // Oct 30, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Clueless slaves !
    Damnation, fire, brimstone and a Devil which you use to blame most of your actions, is what rules your world.

Your morality is fake and without any Philosophical Ethical inquiry.You are hypocrites beyond reproach. This includes Christians Jews and Muslims. All cut from one mold.

Good luck in justifying any of your behaviors with your non-ethical and relative moralities.

• 18 frank // Nov 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

It seems incredulous to me that an unbeliever who is so critical and filled with such seemingl animosity towards the Christian Faith, would waste his time reading these posts, regarding Jesus.

That is of course unless he is really, searching, and is being convicted of his need, and still is to stubborn and afraid to make the move.

As the by Word of God says examine yourself.
    Judge not liest you be judged.

fmc

• 19 Bryan // Nov 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

A seminary professor in his first term in the US, at Emory, made clear his Lutheran background concerning how God can “speak-through”:

God can speak through a tree, a book, even a dead dog. God can even speak through a (fill in your blank) preacher, and this last is very hard for God to do!

God intends to speak, and often does, as Frank said, even when we’re resisting for all we’re worth.

Isn’t this a long discussion on a very provocative sermon? Great!

• 20 proof that Jesus was a fraud // Nov 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Yep… this is MADOFFs and LIEHMAN bros and GOLDMAN SACHS’s

“god” talking. Your children are modern slaves to be willed to their children. Keep falling to your knees and and teach your children to be obedient as good slaves should be. So keep believing in this utter fraud of a “god” and pretty soon you will be completely enslaved just like all the Islamic countries are.
    Wake up.

Leviticus 25:44-46: “Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.” (NIV)

• 21 proof that Jesus was a fraud // Nov 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Be obedient and kneel! Fear, Hope and Salvation ! Your God Commands you ! And be sure to make your interest payments on time ! The children are hungry !

• 22 Sandi Fassbinder // Nov 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Ah, the devil is smart, is he not. You sound so wise picking your
    scripture. The deivl roars LIKE a Lion seeking whom he may devour.
    Don’t let him devour you.
    Um, when you go to work my dear friend slave, please remember
    me when you punch in or clock in.
    I am a bonds woman of Christ, he is the best return on my money
    I have ever been enslaved with, my tithe, and offerings. I sold
    my house for top dollar because I believed Malachi 3:10
    One day every knee will bow and tongue will confess JESUS is Lord.
    Don’t hate me because I am beautiful.
    Hey Christians give you free will, God gives you free will.
    Besides Muslims are coming to Christ in droves. They are
    seeing visions of Jesus like never before. Can’t help what
    down right mean people wanta do, they’re just gonna do it.
    Now I don’t have to get my bible out today, you gave me a good word.
    From Leviticus.

Peace Out!
    OlekSandra

• 23 Sandi Fassbinder // Nov 30, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I got turned on to this church in Grand Junction Colorado. I took my daughter
    to see famous Katy Perry’s father Keith Hudson preach. Oh, man can he preach. He is more of an evangelist , so he travels he and his wife Mary Hudson. I bought their CD’s. Oh, man have I been blessed. It was a 3 day Fuel The Fire spiritual event for young people , so I took my child. I took her to get her involved with more of church and I wind up finding a great place to worship the Lord. I guess God has churches in different stages of were you are in your walk with God. I like to feel God, and the Holy Spirit. and Man woman child who ever you are, Faith Heights is amazingly wonderful. The church looks like its setting on holy ground. The pastor John Cappetto and Carla are right on time for me. I went to Faith Landmarks Ministries in Rich VA, but this is awesome, awesome. Talk about crumbs the syrophoenician woman asked for, this is what it feels like to me, their sermons are life changing. I had to share this. One day I will lay hands on the sick and oppressed and I tell you what they will be healed , Jesus said I would and I will.
    All Yall Be so Blessed today Lord give em some crumbs! Thank You Jesus,
    Sister Sandi Fassbinder
    I like my new and old church, its like being torn between two loves.
    But I’m moving forward with this, I believe God said DO IT!
    The worship team is so great at my new church too. I think her name is
    Krystal Meyers. Pack your bags yall, and come and worship the Lord with us. Get a Good word from da Lord.

• 24 Davetta Lewis-Thompson // Apr 12, 2011 at 5:03 am

I was reading this morning and didn’t understand what I read and in seeking clarity came upon this sermon. Oh what a wonderful message it was. I thank God for you and your guidance and your willingness to share what he put on your heart with millions across the Globe. This has made my tuesday morning, this 12th of Aprill,2011 a glorious day more than worthy of thanks and praise. Glory to the the most high GOD, thank you for your words and your teaching, thank you for sending your son and thank you for the overflowing love that spills off your table down to me.
    Thank you Jesus!

This was a wonderful word.

• 25 adrina // Apr 15, 2011 at 12:42 am

Jesus is OMNISCIENT. He knows all. He didn’t need a human to teach Him anything. He was teaching her and us a lesson. Perhaps He was building her faith. Your message is terribly blasphemous toward God. Please don’t take this wrong… but rethink who God is. please.

• 26 Bryan // Apr 15, 2011 at 4:45 am

Funny how this thread has gone! The last comment about blasphemy is fascinating. The writer is apparently saying” Jesus is OMNNISCIENT, therefore your interpretation is wrong. The “omni…” categories come from good Greek thinking, outside the Bible. To use philosophy to discourage a prayerful realization of the complexity of the ministry of Jesus is, well, a bit strange, when you think about it.

God is….... who he reveals himself to be! Jesus of Nazareth presents himself in a sometimes disconcerting way…..not so interested in fitting into our expectations, which is totally appropriate to consider as we approach Palm Sunday. The crowd, after all, went from cheers to jeers because Jesus did not meet their expectations. Still works that way.

Cultural expectations, like the “omni…” categorizations, simply fade. Jesus, not philosophy, offers us the definition of God. John 1 meets this head-on, by the way.

• 27 Sandi // Apr 15, 2011 at 8:43 am

We can always change God’s mind. He talks about that a lot. And the S woman changed his mind to save us All. Amen.

Abraham changed his mind too.

I do it all the time, come on Dad, think about my side of the story.

Amen..He’s ma Daddy oxox’s “Abba Father”

• 28 James McAvoy // Feb 8, 2012 at 6:05 am

The Syrophoenician woman did not “teach” Jesus anything (for only the Father has taught Jesus), but rather he used her as an example to the Jews who were present to show how great a gentile’s faith could be, contrasting it with their own lack of faith. It was a foretaste of what was soon to come, that in their lack of faith most of the Jews would reject Christ, opening the way for the gospel to be preached to all peoples of the world without distinction between Jew or gentile. This was the Lord’s plan all along, having been prophesied many times in the Old Testament.

Throughout the gospels it is shown that Jesus had foreknowledge of events, even knowing the thoughts of people trying to lure him into intellectual traps. When the Syrophoenician woman came to Jesus begging, he called her a “dog”, which is how the disciples and Jewish onlookers would have viewed her. Jesus was attempting to make a point by playing on their prejudices, showing how her faith as a gentile eclipsed their own as God’s people. Whereas the Israelites had been commanded to keep themselves separate and pure as a testimony to God, they had forgotten God’s purpose in their separation and descended into chauvanism.

It is important to remember when Jesus said: “Before Abraham was, I am.”

Jesus the son, savior and messiah pre-existed all humanity. Abraham himself preceded the Jews, which makes Jesus’ point all the more clear. God is the god of all humanity. The Jews were and are his people, a people meant to be a beacon on the hill, a light to all nations so that the heathen might turn to the Lord, as was the case of the Ninevites turning at Jonah’s preaching. With the coming of the Holy Spirit, all who believe in Jesus are grafted onto the olive branch and become the light to the nations to lead them to repentance.

• 29 owen ugo // May 15, 2012 at 10:07 am

I am still weeping as God is still revealing so much to me tru dis teaching and the scriptures. Thank you pastor for this timeless truth from the great book of all times- the bible.
    I love you all.
    And to the jesus is a fraud guy! You are not far from salvation,if you can follow this thread. Love you too.